Monday, June 23, 2008

Different Perspectives

Talk about the enemy of my enemy is my friend. The man who was once in charge of the Hanoi Hilton says John McCain is lying about his alleged war-time torture. But he says he would vote for McCain anyway:
"I can confirm to you that we never tortured him. We never tortured any prisoners."

Mr Duyet reminisces instead about how he often summoned the future US presidential candidate to his private office for informal chats.

"We used to argue about the war - about whether it was right or wrong," he says.

"He is a very frank man - very conservative, and very loyal to his country and the American ideal.

"He had a very interesting accent and sometimes he taught me words in English and corrected my accent. I have followed his career since he left prison."

So is Mr Duyet implying that that Senator McCain lied about his treatment at the Hanoi Hilton?

"He did not tell the truth," he says.

"But I can somehow sympathise with him. He lies to American voters in order to get their support for his presidential election."
Remember, the USA "does not torture" either. Even though McCain voted for it.